Sunday, September 29, 2019

General lee




This is a story of a brave dog, well a street dog.. I called him Generlee..ofcourse I took the name from the movie the Dukes of hazzards.


Generalee was fast , firsky and full of energy. He would hit zoomies all the time. I swear to god that dog could be the mascot for redbull or duracell, he  had unlimited energy!! he was just like the dukes of hazard, always in trouble but for the right reasons. He was all black with yellow dots over his eyes pointy ears, beautiful shiny black coat. Raised him up from pup, from a litter of four.I guess he was half Doberman. He was for some reason big from the beginning, grew up to be one handsome devil. The most peculiar thing about him was that he would eat ants and insects as a pup! Never seen a pup eat ants and insects! 



We were friends, no matter what time I come back home he would be there. Greet me, tell me about his day in his own way. I'd play with him for a while than get him something to eat and than I'd go inside my home to sleep.

He was a street dog, I never tried to tame him or make him do my bidding...free spirit..free to be with me and free to go away if he wanted to. He came to be with me on his own free will and there was nothing that could hold him, he was a freakin tornado, a pistol...Genrallee just like me! If I were a dog I'd be Genralee.

Few years passed by, he was now a young grown up dog, still had the same spirit though. He had his own pack to lead being the alpha he was. I would meet him less and less, he was always busy at work...important meetings and all... asses to sniff and all.. you get the drift.

One Sunday it was raining and I heard a shriek outside my house, someone drove over sleeping Generalee, his hind legs went limp. I called in the doctor, he just politely asked that he should be put down and free him of his misery. I was not ready...I was being selfish... I didn't want to let him go. I asked the doctor to just give him some pain killers and give him few more days. I guess it was me who wanted few more days.

He stayed at my place, I fed him and let him rest. The next morning though, he was gone! I didn't think he could actually move, and lo behold that bugger was walking on his front legs! like a gymnast!

For a few days that's how he would walk around, on his front legs raising his backside completely in the air! He wasn't dragging his back like most dogs in his condition would, his back literally raised up in the air! How could I let him die!

In few months he was on all his four, hind legs were weak but he was now able to walk on all four. Few more months after that he was all good , same old harbinger of terror, raider of the garbage bins, enemy of anything leather! Bashful, relentless,strong, fighter, survivor, friend, free spirit and a beautiful soul.

Few months later he was just gone, he didn't come back, my friend was gone. Later I found out that he got into a car accident on road near by and passed away.

My friend was gone, no more shredding my shoes , no more exited zoomies. I miss him. No one can replace Generalee. I miss him. 

To me dogs are not pets, they are companions. They deserve to be treated with respect. Respect that we should extend to all creatures. 

P.S I have lost Generalee's photo as it has been years now, but I know i have it somewhere and i will update the blog later. The photo right now is also of a lovely street dog that used to hang around near my office.




No comments: